St. Giles Cathedral, Edinburgh, was first consecrated the 6th of October, 1243. It is named for the 7th century hermit monk who is the patron saint of the city. Within the cathedral is the Chapel of the Order of the Thistle. The Chapel is the seat of the chivalric copany of the Scottish knight. The design of this cross was inspired by the various thistle motifs in the Cathedral and is an original design by Deanne McKeown.