This cross is a representation of an artifact found at the site of Jamestown Colony near Chesapeake Bay. English colonists landed here 400 years ago on May 1607. By the end of September, nearly half of the original 108 colonists had died, mostly of typhoid, dysentery and perhaps salt poisoning.
The original cross was of a black mineral stone and may have belonged to one of Jamestown’s few Catholics. It speaks to their hope to create a new life in America and to convert the native peoples to the Catholic Faith.