The Inspired Abstract
Turn your life’s inspiring moments into richly beautiful abstract paintings. In this workshop you’ll gain a powerful foundation for abstract painting. Using layers, Julie will guide you to enter the painting process naturally, develop a deep and luscious visual space, and weave exquisite personal marks and forms that grow from your seed inspiration. You’ll discover the spirit in your painting and learn to gently enhance its drama, so it can shine powerfully. You’ll leave with two acrylic paintings that embody meaning, naturalness, and spatial depth and flow – qualities that lift an abstract painting from amateur to professional. Along the way, you’ll gain discernment and come to understand abstract painting much more deeply. Julie will give demonstrations, enlightening discussion, group critique, and plenty of one-on-one time. You’ll receive Julie’s valuable checklist: “Critique Points for Abstract Painting,” an essential painting-rescue kit to keep handy in your studio. All experience levels are welcome.
You’ll also develop the freedom and skills to:
• Use the full power of background, middle ground, and foreground in abstraction by understanding the proper role of each.
• Vastly deepen your painting’s visual space.
• More easily approach color mixing and color harmony.
• Replace criticism with supporting what you love about your painting.
• Make “surgical” changes to the flow of a painting that can stunningly transform it from disappointing to great.
• Distinguish what kind of finishing touches are needed to bring your painting into focus (without losing freshness).
Whether you’re a longtime artist or new to painting, you’ll gain the insight to transform your inspiration into endlessly interesting, soul-satisfying abstract paintings.
See Julie’s video HERE.
Payment Options: Students may pay in full or choose the payment-plan option during registration. The payment plan requires a non-refundable $125 deposit with the balance due 30 days before the first day of the workshop. There are no refunds after 30 days before the first day of the workshop. However if the Arts Center needs to cancel a workshop all funds will be returned.