The Inspired Abstract
Moments can become richly beautiful abstract paintings. In this workshop you’ll experience a layering technique that gives you a powerful foundation for abstract painting. You’ll enter the painting process naturally, develop a deep and luscious visual space, and weave exquisite personal marks and forms that grow from your seed inspiration. You’ll discover the spirit in your painting and learn to gently enhance its drama so it can shine powerfully. You’ll leave with two acrylic paintings that embody meaning, naturalness, and spatial depth and flow – qualities that lift an abstract painting from amateur to professional. Along the way, you’ll gain discernment and come to understand abstract painting much more deeply. Julie will give demonstrations, enlightening discussion, group critique, and plenty of one-on-one time. You’ll also receive Julie’s valuable checklist: “Critique Points for Abstract Painting,” an essential painting-rescue kit to keep handy in your studio. All experience levels are welcome.
• Discover the helpful relationship between imagination and the raw beauty of paint and gesture.
• Use the full power of background, middle ground, and foreground in abstraction by understanding the proper role of each.
• Find out how you can approach your painting differently when you’re in the mood for fluidity vs. form.
• Learn ways to vastly deepen your painting’s visual space.
• Gain liberating hands-on tips to improve color mixing and color harmony.
• See how to move forward more productively by replacing criticism of your painting with support.
• Observe how “surgical” changes to the flow of a painting can stunningly transform it from disappointing to great.
• Distinguish what kind of finishing touches are needed to bring your painting into focus.
Whether you’re a longtime artist or new to painting, Julie will guide you through the process of turning inspiration into soul-satisfying abstract paintings.
See Julie’s video HERE.
Payment Options: Students may pay in full or choose the payment-plan option during registration. The payment plan requires a non-refundable $125 deposit with the balance due 30 days before the first day of the workshop. There are no refunds after 30 days before the first day of the workshop. However if the Arts Center needs to cancel a workshop all funds will be returned.