Paper Paintings: Fashion Plate Portraits with Elizabeth St. Hilaire
October 19 – 21, 2021
**Important Covid Note: Masks are required while inside the building. We will have paper masks available at the door for your use if you need one.
Also, Elizabeth is requesting that all students be fully vaccinated since we are again seeing large numbers in the hospitals due to the Delta variant. Please email Elizabeth at email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns about this.
Learn to collage fashion plate portraits in a variety of mixed media. Create your own hand-painted collage papers. Experiment with hand-painting, gel printing, stamping, and patterning paper through a multitude of techniques. Rip and glue and apply your papers in a painterly manner over the top of a female portrait made with charcoal drawing and painting. Classroom lecture and demos will be incorporated for all steps of the process.
WE WILL COVER:
- How to choose a copyright free reference photo
- How to create a compelling composition
- How to create an encaustic effect ephemera collage base layer
- How to transfer your photo to the substrate with graphite transfer paper
- How to add shading and line quality with black pastel
- How to create an under-painting with vibrant color and shading
- How to paint your own collage papers with the gel plate
- How to rip and glue and applying your papers in a painterly manner over the top of your under-painting.
- How to tear with and without white edges
- How to keep your pieces perfectly flat without cockling.
- How to vary your paper brush marks in size and shape.
- How to apply simple gold leaf as an accent to your composition.
***IMPORANT NOTE:There is some pre-workshop prep work required for students to complete in advance, before coming to class on the first day. Click on the Materials List tab above for more information and links to instructional videos.***
During this comprehensive 3-day workshop you will learn a unique figurative mixed media collage technique. Emphasis will be on defining form using light and shadow, and treating every torn tidbit of paper as a brush stroke. Students will create impressionistic collages that look like paintings.
This class is focused on learning and growing creatively in a FUN environment.
No prior collage experience is necessary. Some painting experience is helpful, however all levels are welcome.
COVID Health and Safety Protocols
The health and safety of our Patrons, Students, Volunteers, and Staff are a top priority. Since COVID-19 first surfaced, our staff continues to monitor the situation closely, taking every precaution to keep our Patrons, Students, Volunteers, Staff, and our community safe.
- Unless you are fully vaccinated, we require that masks be worn at all times while inside our buildings. Paper masks are available for no charge.
- Thermometers are available in the Gallery and Studios for self-checking of temperature upon entrance.
21 1019 ES