Learn to collage fashion plate portraits in a variety of mixed media. Create your own hand-painted collage papers. Experiment with hand-painting, gel printing, stamping, and patterning paper through a multitude of techniques. Rip and glue and apply your papers in a painterly manner over the top of a female portrait made with charcoal drawing and painting. Classroom lecture and demos will be incorporated for all steps of the process.
WE WILL COVER:
- How to choose a copyright free reference photo
- How to create a compelling composition
- How to create an encaustic effect ephemera collage base layer
- How to transfer your photo to the substrate with graphite transfer paper
- How to add shading and line quality with black pastel
- How to create an under-painting with vibrant color and shading
- How to paint your own collage papers with the gel plate
- How to rip and glue and applying your papers in a painterly manner over the top of your under-painting.
- How to tear with and without white edges
- How to keep your pieces perfectly flat without cockling.
- How to vary your paper brush marks in size and shape.
- How to apply simple gold leaf as an accent to your composition.
NOTE there is some pre-workshop prep required in advance of the class.
During this comprehensive 3-day workshop you will learn a unique figurative mixed media collage technique. Emphasis will be on defining form using light and shadow, and treating every torn tidbit of paper as a brush stroke. Students will create impressionistic collages that look like paintings.
This class is focused on learning and growing creatively in a FUN environment.
No prior collage experience is necessary. Some painting experience is helpful, however all levels are welcome.
COVID Health and Safety Protocols
The health and safety of our Patrons, Students, Volunteers, and Staff are a top priority. Since COVID-19 first surfaced, our staff continues to monitor the situation closely, taking every precaution to keep our Patrons, Students, Volunteers, Staff, and our community safe.
- We require that masks be worn at all times while inside our buildings.
- Enrollment in classes and workshops is limited to ensure social distancing is possible.
- Staff perform a rigorous sanitation protocol throughout the day.
- Thermometers are available in the Gallery and Studios for self-checking of temperature upon entrance.
- Sanitation stations are available at each entrance to the Center. Paper masks are available for no charge.
21 1019 ES