Celebrate the year of the woman! Learn to collage female fashion portraits in a variety of mixed media. Create your own hand-painted collage papers. Experiment with hand-painting, gel printing, stamping, and patterning paper through a multitude of techniques. Rip and glue and apply your papers in a painterly manner over the top of a female portrait made with charcoal drawing and painting. Classroom lecture and demos will be incorporated for all steps of the process
WE WILL COVER:
- How to choose a copyright free reference photo
- How to create a compelling composition
- How to create an encaustic effect ephemera collage base layer
- How to transfer your photo to the substrate with graphite transfer paper
- How to add shading and line quality with black pastel
- How to create an under-painting with vibrant color and shading
- How to paint your own collage papers with the gel plate
- How to rip and glue and applying your papers in a painterly manner over the top of your under-painting.
- How to tear with and without white edges
- How to keep your pieces perfectly flat without cockling.
- How to vary your paper brush marks in size and shape.
- How to apply simple gold leaf as an accent to your composition.
NOTE there is some pre-workshop prep required in advance of the class.
During this comprehensive 3-day workshop you will learn a unique figurative mixed media collage technique. Emphasis will be on defining form using light and shadow, and treating every torn tidbit of paper as a brush stroke. Students will create impressionistic collages that look like paintings.
This class is focused on learning and growing creatively in a FUN environment.
No prior collage experience is necessary. Some painting experience is helpful, however all levels are welcome.