During this comprehensive three-day workshop you will learn a unique figurative mixed media collage technique. Students will draw florals from their own still-life setup or photograph; modifying it to create a compelling, fun composition. We’ll cover how to paint your life drawing with full range of fun, bright colors and shading. You will then learn how to hand-paint your own collage papers through a series of gel plate mono-printing techniques in the color palette inspired by your underpainting. After creating your ‘paper palette’ you will learn various techniques for tearing and applying the paper in a ‘painterly’ manner. Emphasis will be on defining form using light and shadow, and treating every torn tidbit of paper as a brush stroke. Students will create impressionistic collages that look like paintings. Elizabeth will also cover how to keep your pieces perfectly flat without cockling and how to vary your paper ‘brush’ marks strategically in size and shape.
This class is focused on learning and growing creatively in a FUN environment. No prior collage experience is necessary. All levels are welcome!
COVID Health and Safety Protocols
The health and safety of our Patrons, Students, Volunteers, and Staff are a top priority. Since COVID-19 first surfaced, our staff continues to monitor the situation closely, taking every precaution to keep our Patrons, Students, Volunteers, Staff, and our community safe.
- We require that face masks, covering mouth and nose, be worn in our buildings until further notice. (Note: face shields are not adequate)
- Enrollment in classes and workshops is limited to ensure social distancing is possible.
- Staff perform a rigorous sanitation protocol throughout the day.
- Thermometers are available in the Gallery and Studios for self-checking of temperature upon entrance.
- Sanitation stations are available at each entrance to the Center. Paper masks are available for no charge.