with Elizabeth St. Hilaire
April 19 – 21, 2024 | Friday – Sunday
- Friday: 10 am – 5 pm | Sat & Sun: 9 am – 4 pm
- Experience Level: All levels of experience are welcome.
- Medium: Mixed Media, Acrylic Paints
- Registration: Each student must register individually. Click the Cancellation Policy tab above for more info.
- Location: Sedona Arts Center, Theatre Studio
We will be drawing florals from a still life setup and modifying it to create a compelling, FUN composition. We’ll cover how to paint your life drawing with a full range of fun, bright colors and shading. You will then learn how to hand-paint your own collage papers through a series of gel plate mono printing techniques in the color palette from your under-painting. Once you have created your paper palette you’ll follow along and learn how to rip and glue and apply your papers in a painterly manner over the top of your underpainting. Elizabeth will cover how to tear with and without white edges, how to keep your pieces perfectly flat without cockling, and how to vary your paper brush marks in size and shape.
We WILL COVER:
- Drawing and starting a great composition from the floral set-up
- How to be sure your collage fodder glues down flat
- How to create floral collages by integrating foreground and background
- How to create an underpainting with vibrant color and successful shading as a roadmap for collage
- How to paint your own collage papers using the gel plate; one video per technique
- How to rip and glue–applying your collage paper in a painterly manner
- How to tear with and without white edges
- How to keep your pieces perfectly flat without cockling
- How to vary your paper brush marks in size and shape
24 0419 ES