Mixed Media Transfer Techniques II with Michelle Sales
March 15 – 16, 2024 | Friday – Saturday | 9:30 am – 4:00 pm
- Experience – This class is suitable for those who have taken Mixed Media Transfer I, or for participants who already have experience with transferring images to a surface.
- Medium – Mixed Media
- Note: A lab fee of $75.00 is payable directly to the instructor on the first day of the workshop. See below for the list of supplies provided by the instructor.
- Registration: Each student needs to enroll individually.
- In-Person class at the Sedona Arts Center, Theatre Studio in the Art Barn.
Artists from the past and present have often used images taken from existing materials such as magazines, postcards, old books, photocopies, and more to enhance their artwork. There now exists a multitude of transfer techniques available to artists.
In this two-day workshop you will utilize transfer paper printed with your personal images or instructor’s images to unusual surfaces such as copper, plaster, and metal leaf. Many of the transfers created in this workshop can be layered on top of existing images to add depth. We will use collage techniques and paints to create additional interest. This is a fun class with lots of experimentation and exploration of interesting and unusual surfaces.
*** Please note actual images will not be destroyed, instructor will be using images participants have selected, and these will be printed on instructor-provided transfer paper.
We Will Cover:
- Transferred images and their application in art.
- Legal and ethical aspects of using images created by others.
- How to transfer an image to unusual substrates including aluminum, copper, plaster, and metal leaf.
- Further explorations of layering images to create depth.
- Using acrylic paints and pens, stamps, handmade paper collage materials and magazine transfers, to enhance created images.
Student Supplies Needed for Class:
IMPORTANT!!! PLEASE READ!!!
Participants will receive 4 sheets of preprinted images, all 8.5”x11”. If you supply the images, they must be JPEG only and follow these guidelines:
All images or photos need to be high contrast, meaning clear borders between light and dark areas. Color or black and white images are acceptable but light areas should be clearly lighter than dark areas. You may choose as many images for each sheet as you wish, leaving a border around each image so it can be cut away from the others. You would then create a single JPEG for each of the four pages. After you select the images, please make a good copy of them, and send them attached as a JPEG to: email@example.com
*Please send only high quality images with strong contrast with lots of bright color or contrasted areas of black and white. Dark or cloudy images will not make a good laser print.
Please send your images TWO WEEKS prior to the class date so that I can print them in time for class.
***If you do not send images, you will be using pre-printed images provided by the instructor during class.
I try to provide interesting images. Please let me know your preference either way thanks!
A Printer WILL NOT be available during this class!!
$70.00 Lab Fee covers the following:
- Four pieces 8.5” x 11” transfer paper pre-printed with each students’ images sent via email to instructor.
- Four sizes cradled wood board.
- Several sizes wood practice boards.
- Copper, aluminum, metal leaf, and plaster.
- Assortment of pre-printed images ready for transfer (for participants who did not email required images.)
Instructor will also supply the following:
- Acrylic Gesso
- Blow Dryers
- Venetian Plaster
- Paint Brushes
- Acrylic Paints
- Soft Gel Gloss Medium
- Stamps and & Ink Pad
- Acrylic Markers
- Spray Bottles
- Plastic Gloves
- Collage Papers
- Old Magazines
- Cups and Bowls
- Mark Making Tools
- Silicone Shaper Brushes
- Paper Towel and White Rags
**Note: If you have artist brushes and acrylic paints which you would prefer to use in class, please feel free to bring them!! Oil paints cannot be used with laser transfers
Lab Fee = $75.00 payable to instructor (cash or check)
Instructor will gladly answer any questions via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 928-282-1186. Please leave a message if no answer!
24 0315 MS