Glazing in Oils Crash Course
with Cyndi Thau
Jan 19, 21, 23, 25 | Tue, Thu, Sat, Mon | SAC Special Exhibition Gallery Studio | 1-4pm | 4 Class Sessions
Color, Light, Shadow, Translucency – These are the ingredients that we will work with to create a beautiful painting for you to take home. Our subject will be flowers and using the glazing technique we will apply thin layer upon layer of oil paint to achieve the depth and translucency associated with all things in nature.
Students will be taught how to choose a composition, transfer it to the canvas and then begin the process of laying in color. This class will be taught in four sessions to allow for critical drying time between layers. We will focus on light and shadow, paying attention to brushwork and edges as we build up the design. Paintings will be done on a gallery wrap canvas and students will be given a choice of images from which to work. Attention to detail is important and even more critical is the use of light and shadow to form the shapes while laying in color to complete the design.
Each of the four sessions will begin with a demonstration and instruction followed by individual attention. We will discuss composition, color mixing, edges, blending, and values. At the end of the fourth session, each student will have a beautifully completed painting to grace your wall at home.
Open to all levels and all materials included!
COVID Health and Safety Protocols
|The health and safety of our Patrons, Students, Volunteers, and Staff are a top priority. Since COVID-19 first surfaced, our staff continues to monitor the situation closely, taking every precaution to keep our Patrons, Students, Volunteers, Staff, and our community safe.|
- We require that masks be worn at all times inside our buildings.
- Enrollment in classes and workshops is limited to ensure social distancing is possible.
- Staff perform a rigorous sanitation protocol throughout the day.
- Thermometers are available in the Gallery and Studios for self-checking of temperature upon entrance.
- Sanitation stations are available at each entrance to the Center. Paper masks are available for no charge.
21 0119 CT
- Each student must enroll individually
- Classes must be paid in full upon registration
- Students may register online or by calling the Sedona Arts Center’s Administrative Offices in the Art Barn, toll-free at 888-954-4442 or locally at 928-282-3809
- Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express are accepted or student may pay with cash or check by registering in person during office hours at the Art Barn
In-Person and Online Classes Cancellation
- Students must cancel or transfer at least 7 days prior to the first day of class
- If a student cancels or transfers before the 7-day cut-off, a 15% fee will be applied
- If a student cancels within 7 days prior to class, there are no refunds
- If Sedona Arts Center cancels the class for any reason, all payments made will be refunded in full
The Sedona Arts Center is not responsible for providing make-up sessions or issuing refunds, credits, or transfers for courses missed as a result of illness, emergencies, or other events beyond our control. There are absolutely no refunds after the cut-off date for any reason, unless the Sedona Arts Center has to cancel the workshop, then all fees paid will be refunded in full.
Covid-19 Update for In-Person Classes and Workshops:
As long as SAC is able to provide an environment that adheres to the CDC guidelines for social gatherings, and assuming all other normal criteria are met and the workshop or class goes forward, the above cancellation policies are in effect.