Susan Kaineg (They/Them)
Born in the Midwest, now living in the Pacific Northwest
I am a Maker, a Feminist and grand enthusiast of empowerment and equality. My life interest has always involved creating, painting, and making objects atypical. From developing a novel virtual reality theatre over 20 years ago to leaning how to paint hair-on upcycled hide to devising a new form of mixed media art, the only requisite was to create something that did not exist.
Through decades working in the tech sector and experiencing harsh patriarchal gender bias and discrimination, I forged my path as an artist using words, color, and imagery to speak out against such disempowerment for myself. Tremendous inspiration is drawn from trailblazing global icons like Shirley Chisholm, Malala, Alice Stokes Paul, and Claudette Colvin, to name a few.
Launched during Covid, I brought a first-of-its-kind, commercial grade painted upcycled hair-on hide to market within the interior design community, garnering several coveted international awards. But I found a passion creating 3D mixed media original artwork, deeply diving into an extended period of art production which required painting, pounding, shattering, gluing, sanding, cutting – all a grand celebration of individual empowerment.
Post Covid, I am eager to share what I have created and began bringing my art out into the world in late summer 2022.
- ICON by Lynn Hanson Gallery – Seattle
- Metamorphosis – New Orleans
- The Jones Gallery – Kansas City
- Script Envision Gallery – Dallas
- Food For Thought – Frederick MD
- Small Works at the Carnegie Gallery – Traverse City MI
- The Holy Art Gallery London
- Never Give Up – Cancer Book of Arts 2022
- Teeny Tiny Bold – Platteville WI
- The American Artist –London
- The Esther Rolle Exhibition – Pompano Beach FL
- ARTWALK Magazine
- Big Gay Art Show – Sedona
- MFA Small Wonders – Annapolis MD
- The Small Works Holiday Show – Phoenix
- The Big Tiny Show – Knoxville TN