2019 Festival & Exhibition Details
Paint in the Shangri-La of the Southwest! Sedona is a sublime environment with stunning beauty and the Sedona Arts Center has roots going back 60 years to the founding of Sedona’s identity as an ‘art colony’. The Sedona Plein Air Festival takes place during the best weather period of the year at the height of tourist season and is supported by a group of very experienced and enthusiastic staff and volunteers. Our community of art lovers open their doors to host – twenty-five artists from around the country that will be selected to participate in this prestigious event. An opening exhibition of six works by each artist creates a diverse opening exhibition representing a variety of media and style incorporating studio and plein air work. Paintings done during the festival are integrated into the ongoing exhibition throughout the week. Paintings are available for sale to patrons all week long. A keynote address mid-week and an awards gala Friday evening provide added encouragement to view and purchase. On Friday afternoon the artists select their best three works to be judged for awards in the designated Awards room. The festival also includes three paint-out events where all artist’s paint and the public is invited to watch and buy. Each paint-out has its own awards accompanied by a sales event.
Events Schedule – Highlights (subject to change as needed)
- Artists Orientation – Saturday, October 12, 9 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. Held on the campus of the Sedona Arts Center. Stamping of canvases. Hanging of work in Special Exhibition Gallery (SEG) and Theatre Studio. Artists are asked to bring six paintings ( studio work is welcome). Brunch is provided. Opening Reception 7:00 p.m. Saturday evening.
- Creekside Paint-out at L’Auberge – Wednesday, October 16, 10:00 a.m. – Noon. Awards and Sale immediately following at L’Auberge. Shuttle provided from 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. starting in Arts Center parking lot to nearby L’Auberge Resort for both the artists and the public.
- Keynote Speaker – Wednesday, October 16, 7:00 p.m. David Santillanes, this year’s Judge and Keynote speaker will deliver a digital presentation followed by a reception open to the public.
- Paint Out at Seven Canyons Resort – Thursday, October 17, 1 – 4 p.m. Awards and Sales Reception immediately following.
- Final Festival Paintings Hanging – Friday, October 18, 1:30 – 2:30 p.m. Only works presented in the SEG will be eligible for awards, except an Artists’ Choice Award which will be based on the entire body of work displayed in both rooms.
- Plein Air Party and Awards Presentation – Friday, October 18, 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. in the Arts Center’s SEG and Theatre Studio with wine, cheese and hors d’oeuvres. Artists’ awards presented throughout the evening.
- Paint-Out on Main Street – Saturday, October 19, 10:00 a.m. – Noon. This is the last opportunity for visitors and residents to become acquainted with the artists and observe them in action. Sale at the Arts Center immediately following. Final Sales – Saturday, October 19, until 2:00 p.m.
Deadline for Entries February 15, 2019
Notification of the selected artists will be completed by email by March 15, 2018.
There is a $25.00 non-refundable entry fee per application. A maximum of 5 pieces may be entered for consideration. Should an artist be selected the $25.00 fee will be applied against the $125.00 fee that is required of each participating artist.
Entering Your Images
List sizes up to the nearest inch. Submitted images must not include matting or frame. Crop the photos to include only the artwork. Be sure your images are right-side-up. Before uploading your images, make sure they are smaller than 4MB, but at least 1920 pixels on the longest side at 72 dpi. Images should be PC compatible in JPEG format, RGB color space.
Sedona Plein Air Festival 2019 Keynote – David Santillanes
Sedona Arts Center ED and Festival Chair – Vince Fazio
Sedona Arts Center Gallery Director – Cyndi Thau
Sedona Arts Center will retain a 40% commission on all sales at the event.
- Best in Show Award pays $500.00 and a ½ page ad in Plein Air Magazine
- A Collector’s Choice and an Artists Choice award each have a $500.00 prize.
- Six Awards are provided by Materials Sponsors: Gamblin Oils and Guerilla Painter (two awards at each paint out) $250.00 value each.
- In addition to the Best of Show Award, three Merit Awards are selected by the Judge and Keynote Speaker for the event (these do not carry a monetary value).
- A special “Image Award” is used in advertising for the next year’s festival.
Deadline for Entries February 15, 2019